Check Out My Baby Blog!

If you didn't know already, I'm pregnant! Bill & I started a baby blog, which is updated a lot more often than this one.

Read all about it at Bill & Cat's Baby Blog!

Friday, June 29, 2007

Bill has made some really delicious meals in the last few days. One of the code monkeys gave him a lot of yellow squash from his family's farm in Arkansas. I like squash well-enough, but I have to admit that I never really get excited about eating it. I guess that's because when I think of squash the squash of my youth comes to mind: Plucked from the garden all pretty and yellow, then fried up 'til it's limp and greasy, sitting mostly unnoticed at the edge of the table. Of course, I enjoy raw squash occasionally on a vegetable platter at party, but of course that kind of squash is really just an edible vegetable dip ladle, right?

Bee on a zucchini squash blossom.


Not so with the squash Bill cooked up on Wednesday night. He made a sautee with the squash, crushed tomatoes, lots of basil from our garden, onions, some fresh tomatoes from our garden, I'm sure I'm forgetting something (I should check with the chef). We had it with brown rice. Maybe he had chicken and I had fish, I'm having trouble remembering anything except how damn good it was. When I really enjoy the food I'm eating, I start swearing. Wednesday night I could have made a sailor blush.

Last night's meal rivaled the squash sautee, though. I had brought about two hours of work home, so Bill was in the kitchen on his own as I worked. He made the best pico de gallo I've ever tasted, although it was a bit on the mild side. It was composed almost completely of ingredients from our garden: tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro. He used a red onion we bought at Easy Way in there too. He topped grilled tilapia for me (and some sort of steak for himself, I believe) with the pico. We had black beans and Mexican-style rice as side dishes. There were some whole wheat tortillas on the table, too. Best fish tacos EVER!

I had plums ready for dessert, but I forgot them until breakfast today.

All this food talk is making me hungry, and it's only 10:15!

No comments: