Check Out My Baby Blog!

If you didn't know already, I'm pregnant! Bill & I started a baby blog, which is updated a lot more often than this one.

Read all about it at Bill & Cat's Baby Blog!

Friday, June 22, 2007

Ghosties!

TGIF, right?

I've finished the Will Storr vs. the Supernatural paperback. I was anxious to see if Will was going to believe in ghosts or not after his paranormal adventures and investigations, so I sort of neglected the laundry and mostly ignored the DVD Bill put in after dinner (Death of a President).

I won't spoil the ending, but I really enjoyed the book. At the beginning, he's a skeptic. He interviews a litany of "experts": ghost hunters, demonologists, victims of demonic possession, an exorcist, a philosopher, a psychiatrist, a quantum physicist. He also goes on some spooky field trips, visiting (and sleeping over) at various haunted locations. His skepticism, which he argues is a form of faith in itself, is tried early in the book, and he flip-flops from skeptic to not-so-skeptic throughout the book. Of course, best of all, is that he's a talented storyteller, with a great voice. It's fun to read, very humorous, andscary.

Now that I've finished with it, I intend to buy the latest Murakami novel (novella?), After Dark, this evening or at some point during the weekend. I'm very excited to read it. He's quickly becoming my favorite, I think.



And, if you're wondering, yes, I do believe in ghosts. Maybe I'll share some of personal experiences at some point in the future. I love to trade ghost stories. I used to enjoy reading and posting them on some Usenet groups.



Speaking of ghosts...

Bill wants to see 1408 this weekend. It's based on a Stephen King story that I've not read. John Cusack plays a travel writer who arranges to stay in a haunted hotel room. Actually, Cusack's character, based on the little I learned about him during the trailer, reminds me of one of Storr's ghost hunters, Maurice Grosse. Cusack's character, like Grosse, becomes obsessed with ghosts after the tragic death of his own daughter.

I love horror movies, especially if they deal with ghosts, hauntings, or (shiver) demonic possession. When I think of movies that really have scared me, they mostly fall within those categories: The Exorcist, The Eye, Rosemary's Baby, The Devil's Backbone, The Ring, Ju-on, and so on...

I watched the trailer for this one, and it looked pretty surreal and spooky. Even if the movie is terrible, it will be fun to munch on some popcorn and hold Bill's hand.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh! I was mistaken about John Cusack's character in the movie. He's not actually a travel writer. He travels to haunted locations and writes about them. Ooopsie. Not sure how I got that mixed up.