Check Out My Baby Blog!

If you didn't know already, I'm pregnant! Bill & I started a baby blog, which is updated a lot more often than this one.

Read all about it at Bill & Cat's Baby Blog!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Catching Up (Supersized Post)

We saw two Memphis movies over the weekend: The Importance of Being Russell (@ Studio on the Square) and Black Snake Moan.

What can I say about them... they're both the best I've seen from each director, John Pickle and Craig Brewer. I'm sure their next movies will be even better, as well.

We watched The Importance of Being Russell mainly to see if Bill's name was in the credits, because he sculpted the "
taint thumb" that was featured in the film. His name was omitted, but do you really want to be known as the "taint thumb guy" anyway? Bill doesn't mind, though. He says, "I know who sculpted the taint thumb, and that's all that matters."

We also saw Rob Zombie's Halloween. I'm glad that's over with. There's little nice to say about it. There was a shot I liked a lot, of a young Michael Myers in the back of a police cruiser. The camera was panning left to right and there were policemen, paramedics, and onlookers all frozen in time. The police lights were flashing red and blue. It looked sort of three-dimensional, like a life-sized diorama. Very effective. The best part of the movie, by far, and probably about five seconds long. They use a bit of it near the very beginning of the
trailer. Rob Zombie's kinda got it made, though, he gets to spend his time making scary movies with his little wifey. Good for him, not always good for us, unfortunately. What's the point in remaking Halloween, anyway?


Bill made a cool little "save the date" kind of thing for our Zombie Party.




I've nearly finished Giraffe. The more I read, the more I just love it. It's seems more like poetry to me than a novel, and good poetry at that. There is a water motif, interestingly enough, that includes references to Slavic mythological figures rusalkas and vodniks.


Creepy water spirits... . I want to know more...





What else is new... we've been shopping for cameras and working on an outline for the Elvis movie reshoot. That's coming along pretty well. We intend to have the camera before Halloween. We're looking at the Panasonic AG-DVX100A.



A lot of our spare time is spent visiting my dad, who is surprising everyone lately. He started ECT about two weeks ago. He's getting around three treatments a week. I wasn't sure what to expect, honestly. I mean, I knew that the procedure has come a long way since Cuckoo's Nest. I had seen a documentary about ECT about maybe ten years ago that showed how much it had changed. Also I had heard last year Kitty Dukakis talking on NPR about how ECT made such a huge difference for her.

But did I expect it to work for my dad, the most stubborn person in the whole wide world? Let's just say I didn't have high hopes. So it's really remarkable to me that he seems to be doing so much better. He's not one hundred percent recovered, but for the first time in years, I'm seeing glimpses of his old "normal" personality, my *real* dad, who I honestly thought was gone forever.

I hope he continues to improve, otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to go through losing him all over again. In fact, after spending some time with him behaving more like his "old self", it was twice as painful to hear him suddenly matter-of-factly explain that he had sometimes "turned into air" recently. For this reason, I am trying to temper my optimism. He still has a few more weeks of treatments left. I am hoping for the best, but bracing myself for ... not the best. Besides, even if he makes a great recovery, it will still just be the beginning.

Well, I'm sure there's work to be done around here, so I'll click the Publish Post button and get to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay for bill and his "thumb"....yall really have an interesting life. I'm jealous.