Check Out My Baby Blog!

If you didn't know already, I'm pregnant! Bill & I started a baby blog, which is updated a lot more often than this one.

Read all about it at Bill & Cat's Baby Blog!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Update

What have I been up to lately?

Well I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road last week. Let's just say I devoured it in two days, in fact. I really enjoyed it more than I expected. Now Bill's reading it, and he's just as obsessed about getting to the end as I was.

I've been working a lot. There's been no time for blogging, scriptwriting, etc. Or I've been too lazy to make time. I can be lazy sometimes. But it has been seriously busy at work. I've been working a lot of extended hours.

Friday night Bill got free schmooze tickets at work to see a band we didn't really know, Widespread Panic, at the FedEx Forum. We weren't too interested in going, but we decided we'd like to see the opening act, Bobby Blue Bland, and the tickets were for a private suite box seating. Since I like R&B and Blues and I hate crowds, this seemed like a good plan. It meant free beer, too. We went with two of Bill's co-workers, Joe and Mohan.

We lasted for a while, but not really being fans of Widespread Panic, who, to their credit, seemed to be a very talented group of musicians, we left a bit early. We went to a new bar called Molly Fontaine's. We stayed there quite a while. It's in the building once occupied by Cielo, which is a Victorian era home that was re-conceptualized as a restaurant, and now has been re-conceptualized as a lounge. I must say I really liked Molly Fontaine's. Being there feels like being a laid-back party full of interesting people. It was friendly, funky, relaxing... a really nice vibe. I'd love to go back.

Here's a link to an article in the Flyer about it.

We came back to our house to watch movie trailers on the Mac Mini and listen to music for a while.

Went shopping Sunday for Halloween decor! That was fun. We've probably purchased about half of what we need to get. We also finally decided what "kind" of zombies we want to be for the party. I kept pushing for zombies that would reflect zombie-like professions: fast food worker, business person, postal employee, etc. Bill didn't find any of those suggestions very inspiring, though. I begged him for us to BOTH be lunch lady zombies, but we doubt we can find any white lunch lady shoes in size 12 for him.

Bill suggested instead that we be early 80s punk rock zombies. That sounds kind of fun to me. I'm glad to have something concrete to work with now, anyway.

What we didn't do over the weekend: Yard Work! The 100+ temps of August and early September were a great excuse to avoid weeding. After all, more than one (albeit elderly) person died in Memphis doing yard work during that heat wave. Now the weather is relatively mild and pleasant, but the weeds are thriving. I feel a bit intimidated by them, actually. I should try to tackle them before the party, at the very least.

We also didn't squeeze in any movies. A bit of a surprise because there are two that I'm very anxious to see: Eastern Promises by Cronenberg and Darjeeling Limited by Wes Anderson - two of my favorite directors. I'm sure I'll manage to see them this weekend.

Watched some great DVDs, however. I saw The Host. A Korean movie that was nearly perfect. It was a sort of humor-action-horror-comedy-family drama kind of movie. And it worked pretty well. There were some gorgeous shots.

I also watched Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven finally. I thought it was pretty good overall, but I still prefer Badlands. I just adore Badlands.

Can't remember the other DVD. Maybe it was a few episodes of The Wire. That's a really great show. HBO is solid, right? I had made a semi-conscious decision just to avoid watching The Wire. Luckily, Bill had it on his Netflix queue. I like the show a lot. Looking forward to getting the next disc.

No comments: