Check Out My Baby Blog!

If you didn't know already, I'm pregnant! Bill & I started a baby blog, which is updated a lot more often than this one.

Read all about it at Bill & Cat's Baby Blog!

Friday, September 14, 2007

La Sonnambula

For the ever-expanding Interesting Coincidence file:
Although far from an outright opera fan, I have been interested in hearing La Rusalka because it's referenced in Giraffe, and it's Dvorak. I turned Sirius online to the opera channel recently in hopes that they might play it. I know very little of opera, so for all I know they could play La Rusalka as often as the classic rock station plays Stairway to Heaven, right?

At the very moment I tuned to the opera channel, La Rusalka was not playing, BUT
La Sonnambula was playing! This was a surprise to me, because there are also several allusions to La Sonnambula and sleepwalking in Giraffe. Pretty strange, right?

[My Billy is a sleep-walker, but he rarely does it. The first night I slept over at his place, all those years ago, he got out of the bed and walked into the living room, where he began to repeatedly smack the dial of his tiny black and white television with the palm of his hand. At first I thought I had fallen for a total lunatic, but I realized soon enough that he was just sleepwalking.]

I finished Giraffe a few days after hearing a portion of La Sonnambula on Sirius. I cried and cried. It was so moving, particularly near the end.


Here's a link to Maria Callas performing in La Sonnambula in 1955, not the same performance I heard last week:

No comments: